Tuesday, August 8, 2017

History of a Painting

I carried around this 60's map of midtown for years and years. I think I found it at a tag sale one day when I was younger. It remained a mainstay on my walls for years to come.

I brought it to Short Beach when I lived at Tom Luckey's, after he passed away. It was on the wall behind the stereo. It first made its home when i brought into that god forsaken "purple house" in East Rock, where it hung on the wall for years. It probably was acquired at a stoop sale in Prospect Park in 2013 or so.



Anyway, this map of New York, missing the 2nd Ave Subway on it, existed at various iterations of my apartment for years. It came to a point where it became iconic, and I couldn't have a room without it.  Fast forward to Court Street, when I decide to make it into an oil painting.The significance is that I work in Manhattan now. I used to dream about it. And just as that moment came to fruition, it happened. And I have this to prove for it.