Saturday, June 17, 2017

Leaving your Blanket Behind

Today was interesting. I picked the right day for this: AKG left a blanket which i believe once belonged to her brother or was hers from childhood, at my place in short beach and i still had it up until earlier. I had that, a hair tie, a newspaper article she reluctantly gave to me, and a flash drive with her website and a bunch of other files on it.

I tried texting her, to ask if i could give it back to her any other way besides just leaving it on her porch. but after 8 minutes i realized that wasn't going to work, and she wasn't going to write me back, and I would just have to leave it on her porch anyways. so i walked it all over, and sure enough, her father and brother were both moving her stuff out of the apartment she was living in around the corner.

I saw her father, in the house, and her brother in the truck. and i dropped the blanket with the newspaper on top of it onto the steps without setting foot on the property. i said to her father, "hi, you must be jonathan. these are yours." those were my exact words, and i left her blanket and everything else. And i didn't introduce myself, or tell him what my name was. Or ask him how things were going, or if i could see alexis. It was clear that I was just there to drop off stuff - and im sure that with the timing of it all, there was probably some question in his mind as to whether alexis asked me to bring the stuff over in the first place, which of course she didn't. because the timing was spot on.

what i loved about that experience is that i had heard him talk to her before on the phone. i had been witness to many very personal and intimate conversations he had with his daughter. as well as hearing her brother speak on the phone with her. these are two people whom i felt that i knew really well. but neither knew i existed.

well now they do. because otherwise why else would i have her blanket and her hair tie and everything else. so i found that to be a very interesting experience. it was intense: i mean, her father is jonathan edwards gage. he's a descendant of jonathan edwards. part of the reason why she thinks she's hot stuff or whatever. and that was my first and perhaps last interaction with him. but who cares.

there was nothing so poetic as leaving a blanket at his feet as he moved his daughter out of her apartment and his son watched from the moving van. i turned around and walked away without saying another word.